Monday 6 January 2014

Audience Research

I created a survey on Survey Monkey which allowed me to gather research on the what readers of music magazine find most appealing to buying a magazine. It also allowed me to gather information at what age group my magazine would be aimed at. 


My first question was about how often people read magazines. As most of the responses responded either Weekly or Monthly, this would influence me to either make my magazine a weekly, fortnightly or monthly magazine. Nobody who participated read magazines daily or not at all. 


Next I asked what genres of music do people listen to. I found out that the majority of the respondents listen to rock music which has further made me fully decide that my magazine is specifically a rock magazine.  

In this question I found that people tend to buy up to 5 magazines per month, furthering my choice to make it a weekly magazine. Only one respondent buys up to 10 magazines per month. 

I wanted to find out if having a free gift would influence someone to buy a music magazine. I found that out of my 12 respondents, 6 said it would influence them, 6 said it wouldn't. If I were to use a free gift with my magazine, it would be every few weeks in order to appeal to everyone. 

I asked what attracts people to buy a magazine. 2 people said that cover image attracts them to buy, 5 people said the inside articles and 5 said featuring posters. These answers have helped me as they show that my magazine needs to have both a good cover image and a good quality article.

I wanted to find out what a reasonable prize for a magazine is, in people's eyes. I found that most people would buy a magazine that is priced £2.00 - £2.99. Both Kerrang! and Rocksound sell in this price range, so I have chosen this price range for my magazine. 

For this question, I found out that people like to see posters, coverage on new and upcoming bands, and interviews in magazines. These aspects I will take into consideration when creating my magazine. 

To help gain ideas for my front cover, I asked what people think is most important on a front cover. Most people said the main image - when taking my photos, I will make sure my main image is of good quality. Others said the coverlines and the colour scheme which I will also take into account. 


Finally I asked what people's age and gender was so that it is easier to focus on a specific target audience for my magazine. I found that both male and female's read music magazines. Those people being aged between 10 and 29. 




1 comment:

  1. Abbie, you have collected relevant audience research, and you have shown how the feedback has informed design decisions for your music magazine. Well done.

    ReplyDelete