Thursday 31 October 2013

Photoshop Skills Development

To Develop my Photoshop skills, I have taken an image of Jarvis Cocker of Pulp, and a separate image of a bar-code and made them into a magazine cover with text to show where the Masthead and Main Coverline would be. 
I have created a .gif file on http://makeagif.com/ to show my Photoshop process. 













In order to create this, I had to unlock the "Background" layer by double clicking on the layer and naming it something other than "Background". Next i adjusted the way the image appeared using the Brightness/Contrast and Hue/Saturation tools found in Image>Adjustments along the menu bar. Then I duplicated my layer so that I am able to change the background colour of the image - separating the image from the background. To change the background colour, I selected the background of my duplicated layer using the "Magic Wand" tool which selects areas of an image that are of a similar colour. Once selecting the whole background, I deleted it. Next I went back onto my original layer and selected a colour on the colour palette and by using the paint bucket tool, I was able to change the colour of the background to blue. After changing the background colour, I used to blur and eraser tool to soften off the edges of the image to make it look better. I added text to show where the masthead, coverline and subheading would be if it were a real magazine. For the masthead, I made sure that the text layer was below the image layer so that the text would be behind Jarvis' head. Finally, I added in a bar code to the bottom left of the image and saved the image as a JPEG.

1 comment:

  1. You have successfully completed the task, using layers to place the masthead behind the main image, adding text and following the set criteria to produce your final image. The tools you have used here will prove invaluable when it comes to constructing your main task.

    I also really like the use of a .gif file to show your progress, a great idea to include this.

    ReplyDelete